Set It and Forget It: Amazon Subscriptions to Simplify your Life.

What Did I Decide On:

Auto delivery subscriptions from Amazon. 

Why it is Awesome: 

You can choose the frequency of deliveries, and subscribing saves you 10% each order. Multiple orders can be shipped together, all with free delivery with Amazon Prime. All your subscriptions can be edited at any time, frequency or number can be changed, the order can be suspended or even cancelled with no issues.

Why You Might Think Twice: 

Money is automatically debited prior to each order, so you need to ensure that there are funds in the right place, and that your payment method is up to date. There are also limited brand options, so you might not be able to get you preferred things. Out of stock orders are substituted, and they may not be acceptable in some circumstances. This has not happened to me though, all substitutions have been adequate. 

The Story Behind the Decision:

It all started with the Cat. The dam Cat. Now, I love my little fur baby to pieces, but as all cat owners know, cats are arseholes. This one in particular refuses to eat any cat food bar one particular brand, and we, the foolish humans, were always running out, or forgetting to pick it up. And then when we did make it to the shops, they were often out of the brand he likes. Then, in typical cat fashion, he decided he needed TWO dinner each evening, so now we were going through it at twice the rate. 

Amazon Magic

One day I am looking through Amazon, which is a pastime I enjoy more than social media scrolling sometimes, and we realise that we are almost out of cat food. So a quick search and there it is, on Amazon, delivery for the very next day. I have no idea how the magic of Amazon works, but I am okay with that. I went to add it to card and noticed that it saya "Subscribe and save 10%. I love me a discount. I do the research, read the terms and conditions, yes, actually,  and realise that even if I cancel before the next order is shipped, I still get the 10% discount. So of course I say yes, agree to one shipment per month, and then off it goes, and I wait for the magical next day delivery.

No mess, No Fuss.

All goes well, it's perfect. Not only does it turn up at our door the next day, its also a bulk pack that you can no get from regular supermarkets, so we wont need to worry about those last minute trips to the shops in a week. Month goes by and I don't think about it, until we get down to two or three packets of food left. I think, Oh, I am going to need to get more cat food. Then next day THERE IS THE ORDER.  Perfect timing.  Okay, cool, this is it, done. No more worrying about if we are out of cat food anymore. In fact, it worked so well, we looked at the other things we were getting regularly from Amazon, and decided to set up subscriptions for them. The bulk packs, the things with self life that could last a couple of days or a week on the shelves if we still had some left. The things that you ALWAYS forget to grab at the shops... Napisan, laundry detergent, bug spray, paper towels.
Honestly, it has been amazing. Buying in bulk saves us money to start with, then add the 10% subscription discount and its worth it financially. However once you figure out the frequency of what you need, that can take a little while, the mental load that it takes off is amazing. Simply never having to worry if you have toilet cleaner when you are already at the shops, seems small, but when we have hundreds of these tiny little decisions to make each day, each one we don't have to think about makes our lives that little bit easier.  

If you want to try them out for yourself, take away a  couple of those annoying "Do we have any at home?" questions, I have linked my fav things below.  Some of these will also have their own posts, which I will link, so you can see why I chose what I did. 

Vanish Napisan OxiAction Fabric Stain Remover - This is a MUST HAVE for my cricket mums. Seriously, the only thing that cleans those cricket whites.
Raid One Shot Crawling Insects Surface Spray - Those damn Queensland Cockroaches.
Felix Adult As Good As it Looks - The thing that started it all. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Period Product Puzzler: Designed for What, Exactly?

The Woman Behind The Smartest Woman Alive

Why I Ditched the Paper: Digital Planning on an iPad